Thursday 31 May 2012

Wot a prat!

Cameron and I went to Knuckey this morning where we saw the focus of the blogs title! For the non birders I am not referring to somebody behaving idiotically rather a species of wader. Although I think he does what a hobby looking at stuff through the bins and there are moths in the fridge. This is not normal?
Pratincoles are a very strange group of waders. Most waders feed by picking up insects from the surface of the ground or by probing the soil with their beaks, pratincoles however hunt by hawking for insects in a manner reminiscent of swallows. They are superbly adapted for this with long pointed wings and a short beak designed for aerial feeding. In Australia there are two members of this group that occur - Oriental and Australian Pratincoles.
I have seen Oriental in the UK and had distant views of Australian when watching the Bustard several days ago. I have been hoping to find another and get better views and possibly some photos - and today was my lucky day.
This very obliging if slightly distant adult in breeding plumage hung around all morning.





Unfortunately all the time we were there it stayed firmly on the ground, but still a cracking little bird.
The water levels are really starting to drop on the lagoon and today an area of woodland that had been flooded was dry enough for the cattle to take shelter in - with their accompanying attendants.

You can never tell what is going to turn up and today I got a "big" surprise in the form of..


this adult White-bellied Sea Eagle. Whilst not an uncommon bird I had not seen one away from the coast before.

Tish arrived home having had a busy shift so we are having a relaxing glass of wine before tea - chilli, always a favourite.
Wot a day although the physical work load is less it is no less busy as there are no lovely Auxillary Nurses or Maternity Care Assisitant (You girls are worth you weight in Gold) for the babies. So infact with 6 mums and their lovely babies you are infact looking after 12 people! However, today I attended a c/s so it was just one mum and baby to care for and that was lovely but really theatre is not for me. I don't like the fact we all look the same in our theatre garb and are trussed up in masks and hast and even booties. But hey ho. Tomorrow a late so a lovely lie-in. On Saturday I am doing parent education for 6 hours! Good grief they are gonna have me yakking in their ear all that time!!!!!



1 comment:

  1. You should have suppressed your white-bellied sea eagle shots so Ma and I could have stayed feeling very superior about our fabulous osprey views. Tish, you're obviously settling in well, glad to hear you're enjoying it. xx

    ReplyDelete