Monday 28 May 2012

Everyone say ahhh cute....

I returned to Buffalo Creek this morning with among other things the goal of seeing if the red capped plover eggs had hatched.
I first found the nest on 28th April and have been meaning to go back and see if it was still there for the last week or so. I did not find the nest again but as soon as I was in the general area a female plover started to get very agitated so I retreated and then set up the scope to see what I could find. Eventually the reason for the agitation became clear as I saw two of these cuties...


They may not be from the same nest but I think the chances are quite high that they are.

At school Hamish is doing a project about "His Backyard" so we have been searching to see what we can find.
It is amazing what you see when you start looking. Not sure what most of these are but they are impressive non the less..




We also saw these two.



The top one is a hawkmoth called Hippotion rosetta (I think) and the bottom is a butterfly called Common Crow.
Tish is on a late today so I  have left the outside lights on of course to help her park the car, I wonder what they will attract, have not risked putting one of the moth trap lights out as may get inundated!



2 comments:

  1. Fancy having all of those in your back yard! I should think the project will be good. Jo got thoroughly merry this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My idea of a top backyard find is 4 legs, white and fluffy but these aren't bad. Certainly have knobbly knees. I was not merry, I was plastered!

    ReplyDelete