Wednesday 2 May 2012

A very pheasant day....

A quiet day spent at home for once - Tish had her shift changed from an early to late so rather than go out birding once I have dropped the children off at school came home instead. Started washing the curtains and hanging some of our own ones and working out where we would need to put up additional picture hooks - we have to apply to the owners before we do this so not too many of our pictures are up at the moment.
Tomorrow Xanthe will walk round and take some video footage of the house and we will see if we can upload it to the blog - homework has taken precedence this week but now that she has finished her poster (deadline Friday) she can spend some time tomorrow making the film.

The very bad pun in the title refers to Pheasant Coucal - a rather large bird that I saw earlier this week but have only just downloaded the images.


Not a small bird.


Because of the sun it was very hard to get a decent picture - when the bird was not obscured by the tree the sun was behind it making it impossible to get any decent shots.


 
My favourite shot of this bird.

Tomorrow Cameron off school so may take his safari kit and go back to Knuckey Lagoons.





7 comments:

  1. What was the poster? Do they get much homework? Is It very different to an English school? That is some bird, but it looks more like an eagle than a pheasant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As Jo says they are actualy members of the cuckoo super family.
      Poster was on natural disasters. Not too bad from the home work point of view, probably slightly less than in the UK.

      Delete
  2. According to Wikipedia a coucal is in the cuckoo family. Doesn't look much like any cuckoo I've ever seen either. Shall try and tweak the butcher birds today - will e mail back & post on my blog so Ma & Sarah can see too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I've just taken a look, and as the copies you e mailed to me Doms are only 102KB & 74.5KB they're past hope! Too blurry with haloing round the wires, I need the originals which I assume would be more like 2-3MB if I'm going to do much with them. Enjoy your safari expedition to Knuckey!

      Delete
    2. These are the best I have - picture size and quality not what a hi tec DSLR would produce. Will look at changing the camera settings to take higher res pictures but not sure if i can

      Delete
    3. Not sure but I suspect that you may have seen coucals in HK - I certainly have greater coucal down on my list from 1993

      Delete
    4. You're right, I had! (Just dug out my HK field guide.) I've only seen the greater, not the lesser, and from the pictures in my guide this looks more like a lesser - the greater seems to have a blackish body with brown wings.

      Delete