Monday 23 April 2012

Bugs and Bikes

Today I am having a shot at writing this blog.

Last night was spent trying to find a bug of about 2cm in between a gap of about 2cm by 12cm long. He is a cicada and he is LOUD and more importantly in our bathroom between the shower and the bath cabinet.
Some interesting facts about cicadas:
1. There are about 2,500 species of cicada around the world, and many of them remain unclassified.
2. They are LOUD
3.Cicadas live in temperate to tropical climates where they are among the most widely recognised of all insects, mainly due to their large size and unique sound.
4. They are LOUD.
5.  Many people around the world regularly eat cicadas.
6. They are LOUD and trust me I was considering eating him over the barbie with some garlic butter as another interesting thing about cicadas is they are LOUD.
This is little critter is similar to what he looked liked but imagine him brown and LOUD!
 (This image was taken from Wikipedia)

But despite the cicada mating call throughout the night as he was singing for a mate in our bathroom I did manage a few hours of sleep and awoke to another beautiful warm muggy morning in Darwin. After dropping the kids of at school Dom and I ventured to the Scooter hire shop and I hired a scooter for a month to get me to and from work whilst I await a little run-around car.
I am a bike chick and I've decided I'm gonna purchase a red bandanna, get a tat and call myself Rose!


However, looking at this pic it is just a fat chick on a bike!
We had another rather impressive rain storm this afternoon. People keep telling me we are entering the dry cool season.... really? I can't decide whether my menopausal night sweats are me or the fact that we still have 88% humidity and I insist the air con stays on and Dom is complaining it's freezing! For goodness sake......

9 comments:

  1. Id just like to point out that you are not FOLLOWING my blog . . . This saddens me : [

    Excuse please ?

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey biker chick! Good for you! (This from the woman who sold all her kit after her bike was kidnapped.) A great way to get around - until the rain starts, then wild horses wouldn't drag me out the house on it!
    Sleeping great here. It's just the right temperature. Nicely not humid. And QUIET!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely blog! I wonder if Dominic remembers the time that we had a grasshopper stuck behind the freezer at 87. Thought there was something wrong with it. We never did find the bug! Hope you can get a small cheap car soon, Tish. You will get so wet if it rains. You never answered our question re Cameron's bicycle carriage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry forgot to answer re Cameron - yep it opens at the front so he is nice and cool!

      Delete
  4. I am really enjoying reading your blog guys, and I have to say Tish.....you go girl! It's like 'call the midwife' modernised :)You just need to get your little delivery pack strapped to the back and away you go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ah, cicadas! i remember them well.... quite missed them when we came back to UK and it was quiet!

    hang on to your air con, and make him wear a woolly hat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (this is Kath, by the way!) grey and damp in NE Scotland today..and not warm rain!

      Delete