Monday 10 December 2012

Buff Breasted Paradise Kingfisher

Before I get onto the subject of todays blog thought I had better post a picture with the Musky Rat Kangaroo circled for all you doubters out there - trips to opticians called for me thinks!




This morning Cameron and I went back to the Ivan Evans Walk that we had attempted a couple of weeks ago.
We had much better luck today with glorious weather and a nice breeze to take the edge of the heat off.
The walk is up a steep set of stairs to a viewing platform - although the "view" is actually of the top of another tree so not impressive in the slightest!
Cameron found a walking stick and was perfectly happy marching off up the path
so much so that I had to slow him down as did not want him to get too far ahead.
On the way back down we heard an almighty crash as a tree somewhere in the forest fell over - would not have wanted to be under it!
The forest was alive with butterflies yet again but many of them were canopy cruisers so the photo opps werre limited.
This was the best today



the top part of the wing of a male Blue Triangle - and yes they really are a flying triangle!

The main target for me though was to try and refind the Buff-Breasted Paradise Kingfisher that I saw flying off in the rain last time.
Having spent about 30 minutes replaying the call so that I would remember it I was moderately hopeful that if one was around I would be able to relocate it.
What I was not expecting was to hear four calling males and see at least two of them. As they are a forest kingfisher the pictures are not the best as despite the bright colours they blend into the trees very well!
Here are my best shots to give you a feel of this stunning bird, the pictures DO NOT do the bird justice as all...



this is the eighth species of kingfisher that I have been able to photograph and the ninth that I have seen since arriving in Australia, it is I think the best one!







3 comments:

  1. No still can't make out the rat. Nice kingfisher tho

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still think the musky rat roo is difficult to make out, but think the last pic of the kingfisher is super!

    ReplyDelete
  3. definitely just a dead leaf. But nice butterfly & bird.

    ReplyDelete