Sunday 31 March 2013

Things that go bump in the night...well flutter really

I decided this week that I would put my moth trap out in the garden just to see what was around, having warned Alan and Jen that the strange light was not an attempt to lure the plane in from Cairns Airport.

I had not bought my traps over from the UK and so I just suspended the MV bulb over a blanket spread on the ground and waited to see what would arrive.
Despite it being a cloudless night with a full moon I guessed that over 40 species arrived during the 2 hours it was on - given that this is just a standard suburban garden I shudder to think what would appear if you trapped in the middle of the forest (there are apparently 22,000 species of moth in Australia with only 10,000 described - and no field guides!!)
The moths arrived thick and fast
I was only able to positively identify two species - one that I saw in Darwin and this one which does occur in the UK, a Crimson Speckled Footman
Of the others I managed to narrow a few down to family:
These are both Emeralds

This one is a Geometrid
These are I think Pyralids

This I have labelled as "Biggie" as it was a good two inches across
In addition to my targets there was a bewildering array of other flying insects. In amongst the numerous types of beetle (all small and unimpressive) there were several bugs that I would not like to even put in a group!
There were also several recognisable species as well, there were at least three different Antlions but none of them were stationary for long enough to let me take a picture. Others were more obliging such as...

Katydid type Grasshopper





Cicada
Stick Insect






and my favourite Praying Mantis



I will be getting the trap out again soon......

















2 comments:

  1. Pity there are no field guides. Still having trouble with the pics. I have to go to and fro from blog to pic. Really annoying. It takes hours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How big are the praying mantis things? A bit like something from Alien

    ReplyDelete