Wednesday 24 April 2013

Yellow Potter Wasp..

...well I think this is what it is, it is certainly a mud wasp species.
I was sitting outside on the deck this morning when I noticed a rather large black and yellow wasp flying around - a good inch in length.
It seemed to be carrying something and was very interested in the fan blades on one of our outside cooling fans. It buzzed around ridiculously fast and was virtually impossible to get any decent flight pictures with either of our cameras, these are the best that I managed


as I got more shots and looked at them on the camera it quickly became clear that she was carrying a ball of mud. Further investigations were called for and I went and got our step ladder.
On checking the upper surface of the fan blades I quickly found the source of her interest
she is building a nest, by holding our old Fuji camera with a LCD screen I was able to get this shot of her with the mud ball

Over the next couple of hours she was a regular visitor, but not wanting to disturb her at first I only managed these rather distant shots of building in progress







I wanted to try and get some better pixs so I moved the ladder closer and waited. After a very short while she was back and came to inspect me, she got so close that I was completely unable to get the cameras in focus. I did manage to get some better shots




When the nest is finished she will lay one egg and feed her larva live food - more photo opps me thinks!










3 comments:

  1. Some fantastic shots there, but how badly will she sting when you're all out having dinner on the decking?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful! she's a very handsome beastie.

    ....as long as you don't need the fan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you sure you want a wasp's nest there?

    ReplyDelete