Tuesday 16 April 2013

Butterflies and things...

As Tish was due to be recovering from a nightshift I had decided to head to Cattana to chase a few butterflies. As is often the case plans don't always go as originally intended and Tish's shift was cancelled. I still headed to Cattana as it was quite warm and muggy which hopefully would mean that there were lots of butterflies in the air.
As soon as I arrived I could see that i was going to be in luck as there was lots on the wing.
I managed to get a few shots of this
Small Green-Banded Blue when something far more colourful caught my eye and I started to stalk it.
Unfortunately I never managed to identify it as I was distracted.
My attention was caught by a Large-Billed Gerygone - heres one Jo photographed earlier...
this particular bird was carrying food so I kept watching in the hopes of finding another nest or some recently fledged chicks. 
I certainly found the recently fledged chick it was feeding but it was not the species I was expecting...

the object of all the frenzied feeding was in fact a Little Bronze-Cuckoo. Despite watching for nearly 20 mins I never managed to get a picture of the cuckoo being fed.
I was then distracted yet again by a very common bird the Spangled Drongo. These are common visitors to our garden but I have never seen one that looked like this.
Normally they are an iridescent black
This one though looked completely different

I used to see Carrion Crows with similar white feathers on the wings in the UK a very attractive aberration.
Tomorrow Black Mountain Road calls.......








3 comments:

  1. I recognised that photo as soon as I saw it... What a classy shot that was ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm on chicken duty this week, & one of the white doves in the stable has just hatched a baby. Hope that's not a cuckoo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That butterfly is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete