Thursday 16 August 2012

The aftermath, or two fat unfit forty year olds...

Tish was able to get up OK this morning all be it a little slower and more creakily than normal! The only real impact of last nights effort is a sore right side of her face as she caught the ball with her cheek rather than her hand - bet she wont do that again in a hurry!!
As Cameron was in school today for the sibling photos I took the opportunity to cycle down to Leanyer Swamp and Water Treatment Works (the local sewage works or as they are known over here the poo ponds). As there were a few migrant waders starting to arrive I took my scope, tripod and digi-scoping camera but not the normal camera. Never again, if I need the scope / tripod I am driving and walking in otherwise I shall just take the normal camera, it was all fine until I had to cycle the mile and half plus back home up what I am sure is the steepest mountain in the world (well OK its a slight slope...)
It is hard going but very rewarding and I had a great day although got few pictures as the digiscoping kit is not really usable for some of the passerines which was a real shame as a male Mangrove Golden Whistler sat in a tree looking at me at a range of about ten feet for several minutes!
Anyway the best photo I got today was of these Pink-eared Ducks..



The pictures were taken through a mesh fence at quite a range with a lot of heat haze hence the quality but they are really endearing ducks with a beak very similar to a shovelers but with a habitat of spinning round like a phalarope when they feed!
Keeping the watery theme a little story from a couple of days ago..
I had just changed the towels and had put clean ones out for the children - two fishy towel and one power ranger towel. I gave it no more thought until I saw Tish getting another children's towel out of the cupboard. Now maths may not be my strong point but I was reasonably confident that I had put the right number of towels out for the children and so watched with interest!
Tish wandered back into the bathroom and promptly changed the clean power ranger towel! When I politely asked why the towel was being changed I got a rather self conscious chuckle and this explanation "as we only have two fishy towels you have to use a plain blue towel as the third towel as the fish need some sea to swim in" . I have heard of toys coming alive at night but had not realised that fish could swim off their towels - needless to say I have ensured that the fishy towels are always accompanied by a bit of open ocean since!

3 comments:

  1. We're glad you look after the fish so well now. Glad you don't have a towel with salties on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. makes perfect sense to me....

    ReplyDelete
  3. quite right to be so particular about towels

    ReplyDelete