Wednesday 5 September 2012

Doves [Pt II] and Pitta Perfect

Cameron is in school for a half day on Wednesday and so having cleaned the floors and done all the routine housework and prepared tea [pasta with a fresh vegetable sauce] deiced to make the most of a less hot day and go back to Buffalo Creek to see if I could refind the wader roost and get some decent photos.
I certainly got some nice pictures but not of my intended subjects.
The roost had moved and so I headed back to the car to drive down to the next car park - with the tide all the way in did not fancy wading through knee deep water just in case! As it was quite late in the morning I was not really paying a huge amount of attention to the forest edge as there had been several cars drive past and so anything interesting would have been flushed back into the forest - how wrong I was!
I had barely gone 100m when I spotted this little beauty walking out of the forest..

...it was an amazing co-incidence having blogged about Rose-Crowned Fruit Dove yesterday to have brilliant views of Emerald Dove [mentioned in the blog as the other beautiful dove of the Top End].
As I was watching the dove my attention was drawn to another beauty walking out of the forest edge, and two Rainbow Pitta promptly appeared and put on a show for the next hour or so. I only got one very poor shot of both of them together [have not posted it] but took the odd picture of the pittas - in total got over 250 photos which I edited down to 77 of the best.
One of them seemed completely unconcerned about me and allowed me to follow it around before I sat back in the car as it walked ever closer.
Have posted a few of the best here..






I also got a couple of nice shots of probably the daftest Aus bird I have encountered so far the Orange Footed Scrubfowl. These birds belong to an ancient group the Megapodes that bury their eggs in an earth mound to incubate them. As a result they are very territorial and are quite aggressive with it. They have in my opinion a head that is too small for their bodies and a daft running style - a very entertaining bird to watch.
These two came racing up to investigate me and were I think a bit put out when I did not cower away in fear [I should add that I was nowhere near their nest mound].







8 comments:

  1. I love the shape of their heads - look daft enough without even running

    ReplyDelete
  2. We think the feet are best!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderfully daft!!

    btw, i, too, got a speeding ticket today... 36 in a 30.... oops! may get off with a fine & 'education'... otherwise 26 years clean licence blown away!

    K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bugger! Tish we think has joined me on the speeding ticket front. She was in the works car trying to collect a babies blood sampple and return it to the lab within a tight time window and did not pay attention to her speed as she left the hospital grounds!

      Delete
  4. ouch! surely she has mitigating circumstances then?

    K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not had the ticket yet so we wait in hope - seem to take about 7 working days so by end of next week we should know but I would certanly think the circumstances should be taken into account

      Delete
  5. hadn't realised from previous pix how many colours decorate the pittas. the problem with the Scrubfowl is clearly in the head:foot ratio. God can't have been concentrating when he was putting them together.
    sorry to hear about the speeding ticket.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Pittas as a family are called Jewel Birds - think there are 42 spp all in asia / pacific region, three in Aus (Rainbow being the only endemic spp) - and are very colourful.
    The scrubfowl is I thin a great proponent against the intelligent design theorists as there is no way that design is intelligent under any circumstances!
    We should know about the ticket next week!

    ReplyDelete