Thursday 18 July 2013

When is a dragon not a dragon?

No post yesterday as I was rushed off my feet at the Cairns Show - well not really if I am honest. I did spend three hours collecting tickets at one of the four entrance gates with Hamish's Cub Pack getting paid for my time. The show is just a fair by another name with a few animals thrown in. By far the best part was the Cairns Regional Council stage where a variety of cultural performers were, well performing. When I left to start my shift Tish was watching Torres Strait Islanders performing traditional dances.
My three hours passed uneventfully and rather slowly, Tish collected me after she had picked up the children.
I should just mention that Tish has joined a local gym in a concerted effort to get fit - the end result from her first visit was a distinct lack of mobility as muscles that she had forgotten she owned made their prescence felt big time!
Today she has returned prior to her shift so when she gets in this evening we shall see how mobile or otherwise she is!
I spent the day checking out another couple of sites that we could potentially use on our tours. The second site was a dead loss, we saw virtually nothing. The first site was brilliant but the access is poor and I suspect that we will only use it as a last resort.
The birds were jumpy and the light was not that good so I got very few pictures. This Red-winged Parrot though was the exception as it showed really well before the clouds and rain came across


I know its cruel to say it but these birds always come across as being intellectually challenged! Most Parrots are clearly very smart birds but this one really does not act like the smartest cookie in the barrel!
The stars of the day though were two little lizards that we found - they are "Dragons" but their name is Tommy Round-head and they are really cute!
These are adults and they are barely four inches long, the majority of which is taken up with the tail!














4 comments:

  1. very cute lizard-dragons!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. cute indeed. they look a bit as if they're a sandwich short of a picnic as well, like the parrots. (And as I've already said on Facebook, well done Tish x)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed, well done Tish. The parrot looks very sweet and definitely dim. As for the dragons - even Mollie thinks they're cute. One looks as if he's thinking of moving a big boulder!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope Tish is feeling more mobile today - sounds a very sensible idea, though. How mean about the parrot: as long as he is a happy parrot, who cares how many sandwiches or cookies he's got?

    ReplyDelete