Sunday 14 July 2013

Stunning Sunbirds..

Over the last few days our female Olive-backed Sunbird has returned and has been working on her nest with renewed vigour soon Saturday I decided to spend some time trying to get a few better pictures
I took close to 350 images but as you can see the nest site is partially undercover so the light was not always good meaning that half the shots are not sharp.
With some editing I managed to get a few decent pics
Getting her on the nest was not too bad - although she would spend most of her time on the otherside of the nest to me so I have many pictures of just the tip of her tail.






I clearly got too close on one occasion as she stuck her tongue out...
She did this regularly, I suspect to get rid of the spiders webs that she was using to bind the vegetation together.
Shots of her in flight we far harder as her wings beat incredibly fast









I tried to get a few shots as she flew in but this proved to be virtually impossible, this is my sole partial success
I did get a couple of semi decent shots as she flew off, although the nest was often in the way




There were a few other distractions as well...

such as this Sacred Kingfisher trying to use the childrens trampoline!

It will be interesting over the next few weeks to see if she continues with her efforts!











3 comments:

  1. Amazing. She is a beautiful colour. I can't actually work out where she might be planning to put her eggs - it doesn't look a very egg-friendly nest to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely fabulous! We don't understand how the nest can be big enough! Hope she continues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Given the size (and age!) of that lens, I'd be very happy with some of those. Just goes to show that new doesn't always mean worlds better - Chris bought that lens in early 1992, just before I moved out to Hong Kong......

    ReplyDelete