Friday 11 January 2013

Boomerangs and other distractions

The undoubted highlight of this week has been the making of a boomerang. These are deceptively simple items that are remarkably difficult to get to work properly.
The children and I all went round to Alan to have a go at making one - well the children went first I needed my third shower of the day as I had just finished the gardening in ridiculous heat. After several attempts and a brief look on line we produced this master piece...
This shape is similar to the hunting boomerangs and is not designed to come back, rather it is very stable when it flies and goes huge distances when thrown properly - this one when we got the shape right so it didn't wobble climbed over a 15m tree and crossed not only the field we were standing in but the car park beyond it, luckily it hit a wheelie bin. Good fun although Alan and I decided to call it a day after that and we will try it again in a bigger open area.

Other than that with the heat we have not done too much other than short walks in the evening when it is cooler.
These walks are past the golf course and have given me several chances to photograph the local Bush Thick-Knees. This one is especially obliging but I suspect it's egg may not survive to hatching as they are very vulnerable to predation.





Apologies for my shadow, in the penultimate picture you can see its single egg.


3 comments:

  1. It's knees don't look particularly thick, but in case you hadn't noticed they are working backwards.
    I'm home by the way, so when I have a bit of time/energy shall update my blog a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The boomerang obviously worked splendidly. Where did you get the piece of wood from and how did you shape it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The boomeraing is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete