Tuesday 5 June 2012

Thick-knees...

Went to Buffalo Creek this morning having dropped the children off at school. The tide was falling having been high at just before 0700, this I hoped would give me a great opportunity to look through the wintering waders, particularly look through the sandplovers to see if there were any lessers in amongst the greaters. As is often the way though my plan did not materialise as I got completely distracted by one very enigmatic wader - a relative of the Stone-Curlew that breeds in the Brecks in East Anglia, a Beach Stone-Curlew / Thick-knee depending upon which name you prefer.
I have seen these a couple of times before but only distantly in the heat haze and today looked to be no different. I was scanning the beach when I saw its head peaking out from behind a dead tree on the beach. Whilst hoping for better views and set the scope up when a Whistling Kite started to mob a couple of Masked Lapwings close by. This flushed the thick-knee which was promptly chased by the kite. It flew and landed in a line of rocks about 300m away where despite some more hassle from the kite it stayed there for the next hour until some kite surfers arrived and the brightly coloured kites unintentionally spooked it.
I took over 100 photos, every few minutes creeping a bit closer to try and get some better shots.
These are the best of the bunch.











It was quite jumpy at times and occasionally flew short distances..



I never managed to get a decent picture of its wings open.

When it finally moved off the heat haze was such that I was not able to scope the waders properly so I called it a day but was very satisfied with my couple of hours out!

5 comments:

  1. Good pics. I don't know about thick knees, but it certainly has a thick beak! Very busy here with Diamond Jubilee celebrations. 2 bank holidays! River pageant - the poor Duke is now in hospital with a bladder infection. He and the Queen stood on the royal barge for the entire procession - and it was very cold. Hope they both survive it! We wonder if you've watched any of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Given the time difference we were not really able to.
      Did hear though that he was in hospital and have to say wondered if they would survive it when heard it was cold and wet!!

      Delete
  2. Nice pix. But you disappoint me..... only 100 for a sighting like that? I must give you lessons. I brought 3000 home from Scotland! (PS No chance on any photoshop work on these - not that it looks needed - far too many of my own to play with. And the Farnes next Sunday to add to that - will be around 1000 probably even if the puffins are down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am going to buy a 2Gb card when next in Casuarina so can take more pixs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. I got 16GB before going to Scotland - used most of it too!

      Delete